Every grade above kindergarten is considered adult.
2. Can your white gowns be used for baptism and confirmation?
Yes, however light colored clothing should be worn underneath.
3. Where should the gown fall?
The gown should come midway down your calf.
4. What is the difference between Shiny and Matte gowns?
The difference is in the finish of the polyester, both are
100% poly however the matte is a woven fabric with a dull finish and the
shiny is a knitted fabric which has a definite sheen to it.
5. When are you supposed to use a matte gown?
Matte Gowns are most commonly used for high schools, trade
schools, technical schools and associates degree candidates.
6. How should I care for my gown?
You may steam clean the wrinkles from your gown and hang it
to keep it wrinkle free for your ceremony. Do Not dry clean.
7. What is the difference between a Bachelors and Matte Gown?
The deluxe bachelors gown fabric is a higher quality and the
yolk is surrounded by double width dense pleating. The fabric of the other
two gowns is the same as their Adult counterpart, however there is pleating
surrounding the yolk on bachelors gowns of all types.
8. What distinguishes a Masters gown?
The masters gown is a deluxe satin finish polyester fabric.
The sleeves on a masters gown have extensions that hang off the fitted arms
of the gown setting it apart from all the other gowns. The deluxe gown offers
double width fluted pleating surrounding the yolk.
9. Can you change the color of the velvet on PHD gowns?
The velvet color can be customized.
10. What are your recycled gowns made of?
Our recycled gowns are made of PET fabric consisting of plastic
bottles and recycled polyester. This fabric has a matte finish and smooth
1. What should I do if my cap doesn't fit?
You can bobby pin the hat in place to keep it from sliding.
If it is much too small you can cut a slit and bobby pin it in place.
2. Who should wear a 4 sided tam and who should wear an 8 sided tam?
Traditionally the 4 sided tam is for a masters degree recipient
and an 8 sided tam is for a PHD, however this is up to the discretion of
the individual and the school.
3. Is there a tassel on a tam and can you remove it?
Tams have an attached gold bullion tassel attached from the
button on the top of the tam.
4. What is the difference between a beefeater and a tam?
The beefeater has a wide brim with a golden rope wrapping
around the inside of the brim. The gold bullion tassel is attached to the
rope and lays on top of the brim.
5. Who should wear a beefeater?
The beefeater is a distinguishing option for faculty holding a doctorate degree who wish to set themselves apart from other faculty and students.
1. What do the colors mean?
The velvet color represents your degree and can be determined
using our color chart available on the website. The chevron and lining represent
your school colors and you should consult the school you graduated from
for this information.
2. If you have more than one degree which hood should you choose?
You should always wear the hood of the highest degree you
3. How do you attach your hood to the gown?
Using the button on your hood you should attach it to the
loop on the back of your gown.
4. What is the difference in materials between the different hoods?
The bachelors hood is the smallest and the shell is made of
shiny polyester. The masters hood is larger than a BA hood and the shell
is made of matte fabric. The PHD hood is the longest hood and has a wide
U shaped design. The shell of a doctorate hood is made of deluxe fabric
and has piping along the lining.
1. What side of the cap do you wear your tassel on?
At the beginning of the ceremony the tassel is worn on the
right side of the cap and at the finish of the ceremony it is moved to the
2. Can you remove the signet?
The signet can be remove and changed easily.
3. What is the difference between an intertwined cord and a double cord?
A cord is made of poly rayon twisted strands with a tassel
on the end. The intertwined cords are made up of different color strands
twisted together while the double cord is two separate cords in any color
tied together by a knot in the middle.
4. What is the orientation of the diploma covers?
The stock diploma covers are top fold and this can be changed
for custom orders.
5. What is the insert made of and what does it do?
The insert is acetate and is used as a cover to protect your
6. Can the moiré color be changed?
Yes it can however this would be a custom order.